Thursday, January 30, 2020

Mediterranean Style!

     How curious! I was midway between the 2 halves of a jar of Food Bank Spanish Sauce on Wednesday(29th) when I got a message that Phil Abbot had broken the Axe record for Mediterranean Gulls with 56 at Coronation Corner. Gavin Haig then proceeded to break it again with 83 whilst I detoured from the town centre to try counting them flying past the tramsheds where the Common Sandpiper was still about.
    Amazingly, I soon had a group of 44 go by. This was followed by lots more between 3:15pm and 4:45pm. I'd breached the 100 barrier by the time Ian of the notorious McLean clan joined me but we still managed another 20 to take my total to 123. What the true number for the whole day would have been boggles the mind. Loads of BHGs, Commons, Herrings and GBBs also streamed by. I expect there was a smithsonianus in there somewhere but a fly-by in the twilight would be tough, wouldn't it?! An extraordinary day for us all and Mike Blaver kept seeing them from Tower Hide until dusk.
   I enjoyed some new potatoes and broccoli with my Mediterranean pan-fry that evening too!😋

No comments:

Post a Comment