Friday, May 1, 2020

Iceland Gull

Iceland Gull 1stWinter, Axe Estuary, 30/04/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)

        Well, my Lockdown Luck hasn't been too bad really. Even though I found out from 'Magic' Mike Blaver that I'd missed out on a pair of Garganey, I wasn't too bothered as I've seen plenty of them in our area previously. Steve's cracking female Ruff was showing really well last evening so I thought I'd probably have to settle for that. However, I did that thing of saying "Right, I'm leaving" but then having one last look at the estuary. One final scan. Corblimey luvverduck a blinking whitewinger plopped in amongst the bathing gulls by Coronation Corner! Immediately an Iceland Gull immature, it later became a first-winter when I checked my hastily grabbed video and pictures. The bill is the most obvious pointer to that, along with the darkish eye. Anyhow, see for yourself...
      The other video I took is too long so needs to be cropped for Blogger! If I can be bloggered. Anyway, try another still...
Iceland Gull 1stWinter, Axe Estuary, 30/04/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)
      Incredibly, Steve Waite managed to see the bird without leaving his house! I'd put it out straight away on WhatsApp but nobody came down for it. I suppose they had all used their daily exercise and couldn't. I was glad to hear that at least one Seaton birder had seen it, albeit at some distance. It flew North, which makes me think that it might turn up at Torr or Chew next. Sorry I couldn't make it stay for everyone but you've all seen whitewingers here before and will again. At least it wasn't an even rarer gull species!
     As for other birds since my last update, Tuesday 28th was rain-blessed with waders and I was lucky to see 2 Grey Plovers with the 40-strong Dunlin flock. Also female Barwit, 3 Ringed Plover, 2 LRP and 11 Whimbrel. My second Swift of the year was with a massive throng of 3 hirundine species and along Cownhayne 4 Wheatears still remained. An amazing number of House Martins on this day included 50+ over Colyton WTW and 50+ on wires at Cownhayne farm simultaneously. Brilliant to see!
     I would say that May has been thrown down the gauntlet by a decent April. With all Whitford, Seaton, Beer and Coly Birders still confined to local 'exercising', what else will lockdown bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment