Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Goshawks in Devon

Goshawk, Devon 01/03/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)
Goshawk, Devon 01/03/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)
Goshawk v Carrion Crow, Devon, 01/03/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)
Goshawk v Carrion Crow, Devon 01/03/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)

Goshawk v Corvid, Devon, 01/03/2020 (Copyright TD Wright)
     Well, I got another lift from the kind ladies...which was nice! I really wanted to see Crossbills and one of the ladies called out some overflying birds which sounded like said pine-cone raiders but didn't stop. Never mind, we enjoyed Siskins, Yellowhammers, Nuthatches and GS Woodpeckers then found a quiet spot for lunch.
     Amazingly, we kept having our nibbling rudely disturbed by birds of prey and assorted corvids. I think Dave Boult knew we might see such things there as he'd met up with us to show us around an area I barely remember as it's years - decades even - since I've been there! Anyhow, we enjoyed the displaying Buzzards but the Goshawks were a rare treat for me these carless days. What was even more fun was the succession of corvid species - especially Ravens and Carrion Crows - which encouraged the raptors to barrel-roll, dive and climb in combat with them. I tried to get pictures but most were quite blurry. Even so, I think these few record shots are so extraordinary for me just now that they are worth blogging. I'll have to find some Crossbills round here...

No comments:

Post a Comment